Shabby Chic interiors are very comfortable and easy to live with and yet, as the name implies, are still very chic and stylish! Think of a grand French Chateau that is a little worn around the edges yet still exudes a style of charm and elegance. Armoires filled with beautiful linen, dressers with pretty mismatched crockery displayed on its shelves and soft squashy sofas are all part of this look alongwith sparkling chandeliers and drapes made in faded floral linens.
This style is very easy to bring into your home, no matter what the age and style of your house is.
Top tips for bringing a shabby chic look into your home:
- Linen or linen look fabric is great for curtains and soft furnishings. Look for a faded floral look fabric for your curtains as pastel colours work best in these schemes.
- Don’t be afraid to mix florals for cushions and accessories, this will only add to the care-worn look you are aiming to achieve.
- Furniture should be wooden and French style, either painted white or with a distressed finish. You can either buy new furniture in this style or have a go at painting and distressing some second hand pieces – you will be helping the environment at the same time by recycling and have some unique furniture.
- Sofas and chairs need to be squashy and very comfortable or an upholstered chateau style sofa could be used as a statement piece.
- Use mirrors and crystal chandeliers to bring sparkle and light into the room. Mirrors should have ornate frames either painted in white or gilt.
- Search car boots, antique fairs or your grandmother’s cupboards to find delicate floral crockery to add an elegant touch, again these do not have to be matching. Whilst out searching see if you can find pressed glasses and cake stands – all these accessories will bring the scheme together.
- In the bedroom try using lace or sheer fabrics at the window with white wooden shutters. Dress the bed with beautiful bed linen in either a crisp white or pastel floral. Toile de jouy patterns work well in bedrooms. You could decorate walls, use fabric for curtains and bedlinen or just use one or two of these ideas, for example the bedlinen and curtains and paint the walls white.
- Distressed floorboards and rugs are ideal for this look and are also very practical.
The Shabby Chic style is going to be around for a long time so to start the scheme look for some beautiful fabric and then start rummaging around the car boot sales and antique fairs for your accessories.